Sunday, August 1, 2010

A day in Delhi Metro




Ask any Delhiite about that one recent change that has affected them most, reply has to be Delhi Metro (except if the guy happens to be a homosexual). With its sprawling wings, Metro is now set to rail over the entire city. Having said that, there are few things that every metro commuter experiences. Here I am, discussing few of them; A jaunt in metro, through my eyes.

Not gasconading about the vivid description of security checks again (last article. Here the only difference is that those hands belong to a constable), here, I would like to, just skip it and move on. After reaching the crowded platform I wait for the train. After a while as it arrives into the station, I can palpate the cumulative leaning-attention of public that it holds. The train stops and doors open. I intend to follow the cliché metro etiquette which expects us to first let out-bound passengers move but as I come to my senses, I realize, I am the only one standing outside the train. Through my gate, no one came out. I enter into the train.

Here is a description of what I see inside. There is a guy beside me boasting a french beard, pony tail , I-pod in hand, beads in ears, eyes closed, often jerking his head trying to match the beats. There is a couple. The guy holds the overhead bar while his girl, to hold on to something, keeps her hands in his jeans pockets. Lost in their own world, often mumbling into each other’s ears, so oblivious are they to the attention they are getting from an uncle who is keenly watching them and trying to eavesdrop. The guy says something funny to his girl, almost instantly the girl responds with a laugh and ‘dilruba-bobby-darling-esque’ slap on his shoulder. Apparently, uncle too manages to get the joke. He is smiling. Then randomly, the couple looks around and becomes aware of this interested companion. They see him and instantly their smiles contract. Now the couple is feeling conscious of  people around them.

On the seat behind me, there is a guy who is working on his laptop. He seems busy and tense. May be, he has to meet an imminent deadline. Suddenly, for the third time in the last two minutes, his phone vibrates. It is his girlfriend. Everybody around knows this, thanks to the previous calls. He is irritated now and rudely tells her that he is busy and will call back. He cuts the line. He looks upset. People around are smiling again.

Suddenly, my phone vibrates. It is a friend who wants to know a particular cheat code for GTA. After dealing with him, as I deposit back the phone into the pocket, I hear a hassle coming from the other side. A middle aged aunty is bickering over the famous ladies’ seat.

 “This is a laideej seat..don’t you understand??

 A guy in his early twenty is the centre of attention. He tries to ignore auntyji.

 “A laideej of your mother’s age is standing in front of you, and you still are not moving??

The guy still remains silent but rock solid on his seat.

Today’s kids just don’t have any manners. You don’t care to respect elders. Gharvalo ne kuch sikhaya nahi hai kya??  Sikhayenge kya unhe khud nhi aata hoga kuch, aata hota to tum aise behave nai karte??“  

Now the guy looks up. He seems offended. Auntyji’s last blow was nasty. A man who is sitting with the guy tells him that he should have offered her the seat, she is an old woman after all. On this, the guy seems irritated and gives this man a ‘if–you-are-so-concerned-why-the-hell-are-you-still-sitting’ look and then just takes a deep breath and stands up. Auntyji won. Now auntyji is sitting on the controversial seat  and look, she is smiling now. Apparently, praising herself for the ‘seat-fetching’ skill she has mastered over the years.

Now I look through the window to know my exact whereabouts. There is still time for my station. I notice a group of friends (4 girls and 3 boys) chirping pretty dissonantly. They seem to be pretty excited. May be, going to hang out somewhere. They are planning what all they are going to do today. Everybody is joyous and giving suggestions. I understand. Friends make you forget your miseries. I start thinking about my friends and life but soon get interrupted as a family enters. They seem to be economically weak, superficially, have around six kids. They appear to demonstrate all the stages in a child’s growth through these kids. The leading man is clad with sunglasses. Though, I do not feel that ambience is that glary inside. He takes his kin to the juncture of two coaches and orders each one of them to sit on the ground. The family follows. But one rebellious but tiny child stands up and goes to the nearest pole. He now, is twisting himself around the pole, and see now he is running around it. He has done almost everything that is possible with a pole. ( no, sorry, not everything!! ) . This happens for around five minutes or so. Now the child is bored. He goes back to his family and sits with them on the floor. He is silent now.

Now it has started getting crowded in here. It will keep getting even more herded till Rajeev Chowk where I am going to de-board the train. Still four stations to go. I wait. I look around to check if something interesting is going on but unlucky this time. So, I take out my phone and start re-reading my messages to kill time.

The train is now going underground. I meanwhile prepare myself for some wrestling. All the people have become biased towards the exit gate side of the train. Everyone wants to leave first. I hate these clusterfuck situations. Train stops. Outside, there is an enormous crowd waiting to barge in. Gates open finally. The clusterfuck is in full swing now. Everybody inside wants to go outside at that very moment and everyone outside wants to make it first inside and grab a seat before it smooches someone else’s ass. It sets an impasse for some time until people self-realize what is needed to be done. Sense prevails at last. People make two lanes out of the gate. Finally things start moving. After coming out of the gate I take some deep breadths in. Feeling relieved, now I check for my phone and wallet. Ohh WTF?? Where is my phone?? My heart skips a beat. Not again…ohh. here it is. Thank God!

Now I am coming out of the station. A peculiar feeling is still lingering around as if my clothes have been scrapped off completely from one side while coming out of the train. Out of friction, may be, I reason.


picture courtesy : http://www.Hotgurgaon.com

2 comments:

Viyoma said...

Wow - glad to know at least there are a few ppl like me, who njoy this madness keenly observing ppl in Trains. I have done this in Mumbai Local- which is badly crowded during peak hours. It is real fun, to observe ppl in crowd- each thinks- nobody is watching them n behave absolute normal.

Loved yr post.

Pushkar Tyagi said...

Thanks a lot Viyoma :) and yes I really do love doing this :) I feel you do not need music or a book to pass time at these places. There is so much to learn and so much to observe.
Would love to read about any of your such experiences, in that case :)